This website uses cookies to measure and enhance the websites performances.
More information on cookies, how they are used and Nutricia's cookies policy can be found here.

Which doctor can I go to?

When you are concerned about your child’s health, your general paediatrician is always the first person to contact. He will do his best to help you or he will refer you to a paediatric specialist which may sometimes be necessary.

A visit to your child’s doctor can turn out to be stressful for both you and your child. So help to keep the visit short and to the point. Prepare yourself thoroughly in advance for any questions that may be asked and make sure to have all the necessary information ready. The visit planner and online diary tool will be a great help for this! You can also print the symptom checklist, it will make it easier for your child’s doctor to discuss your particular problems. If you don't have a children’s doctor, get in touch with your friends or other parents who will be able to name one nearby.

Here are some questions your child’s doctor may ask:

  • How old was your child when symptoms first started?
  • How quickly do symptoms develop?
  • How severe are the symptoms?
  • How long do they last?
  • How often do they happen?
  • Where do symptoms usually happen?
  • Do the same symptoms happen each time your child eats a particular food?
  • How much of the suspected food your child needs to eat for symptoms to appear?

Please bear in mind that cow’s milk allergy (CMA) is a very special condition and not always easy to diagnose, that is why doctors can confuse CMA symptoms with those caused by other conditions. If you get the impression that your general paediatrician seems to be unfamiliar with CMA symptoms, don’t hesitate to ask him for a referral to a paediatric specialist (gastroenterologist or allergist).

(National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2011)